Hair Care After Hair Transplant
Now that you’ve received your hair transplant, it’s important to take extra care when washing your hair in the first week following your procedure.
The following instructions are designed to help guide you through the hair care process after your hair transplant.
Hair Wash Tips and Techniques:
- Shampoo and sponge – You will be given shampoo & a reusable sponge with a bristle side & a sponge side.
- In-office wash – We usually schedule all patients for a hair wash the day after their procedure in our office. During this visit, we provide your first post-transplant hair wash and show you how you can wash your hair for the next few days.
- Home wash – Beginning on the second day after your hair transplant, you will have to wash both the transplanted and donor area of the scalp twice a day, both morning and evening, for four days.
- Recipient wash – The sponge that we provide should be used for the recipient area (where you received the transplanted grafts). Using the provided shampoo, you will create enough foam to dab the recipient area very carefully. Please be sure not to scrub or rub this area. The foam should be left on the recipient area for 2-3 minutes before it is rinsed.
- Donor wash – The provided bristle will be used for the donor area (where the hair grafts were removed) and you will scrub in a circular motion. Please scrub until the dried blood or scabs are removed from the donor area. By scrubbing well, you will help improve the healing of the donor area.
- Rinsing – To rinse the donor and recipient area, you may only use water in a cup, in a bowl or in your hand. Placing your head over a sink or a tub, pour the water very gently over the shampoo foam. Room temperature is preferred. Please avoid very cold or extremely hot water when rinsing.
- Drying – You may pat dry your head with paper towels (using a dabbing motion) and avoid using regular towels for the first 5 days.
- Resuming normal wash – On the sixth day after your procedure, you may wash your hair normally. You can go under the shower and scrub your hair just like you did before.
- Resistant scabs – If you still have scabbing on Day 6, you can put the shampoo or soap on your head and leave it on for at least 15 minutes before you start to scrub the scabs off. This will soften the scabs and allow you to remove all of them with more aggressive washing and brushing under the shower.
See how we wash your hair after a hair transplant.
If you want to learn about what to expect and what you need to do after your FUE procedure, we prepared this page for you that will walk you through the days, weeks and months after a FUE hair transplant
If you have any questions about washing your hair, or any questions after washing your hair, please do not hesitate to call us during office hours at 818.788.8363.
We hope you’ve had a wonderful experience with our team at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration. We look forward to seeing you in the future.
Parsa Mohebi, M.D.
Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration