Items that Influence the Final Cost of a Hair Transplant
The decision to undergo a hair transplant is not one that should be entered into lightly. If you are interested in having a hair transplant, you should meet with an experienced and board-certified doctor to determine if you are an ideal candidate for hair restoration as well as the total cost you will have to pay for the procedure. Not sure what items influence the final cost of a hair transplant? Let’s take a look at what you need to know about the final cost of a hair transplant.
Items that Factor into the Final Cost of a Hair Transplant
There are many items that factor into the final cost of having a hair transplant and they include:
- The type of hair transplant the doctor performs such as FUE or FUT
- The area of the country where the hair restoration is performed
- The cost per hair graft charged by the doctor
- Any additional fees charged by the doctor or the medical facility
- Any travel costs involved in visiting the doctor
Any questions you have about the total treatment cost, including the cost of each individual item involved in the total cost, will be addressed by the surgeon during the consultation appointment.
Let’s take a closer look at each of these items:
- Type of Hair Transplant – In general, patients can have FUE or FUT hair restoration surgery:
- Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) is when the doctor harvests the hair grafts on an individual basis, from the donor area, to transplant into the scalp. This hair transplant technique does not leave a linear scar since the hair grafts are removed and transplanted on an individual basis.
- Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT) is a hair transplant method that is performed by the surgeon transplanting the hairs in their natural grouping, of one to four hair follicles, through the use of a strip method that removes a strip of skin from the donor area on the body.
- Celebrity FUE/Celebrity Hair Transplant which is a limited FUE hair transplant procedure pioneered and performed by Dr. Parsa Mohebi. This cutting-edge FUE technique has minimal post-surgery downtime, as well as little to no detectability to the average eye, thanks to the lack of a visible scar and no need to shave the donor or recipient area before the procedure.
- Area of the Country – While it might seem odd that the area of the country where the hair transplant is performed can impact the final cost of the procedure, please keep in mind that the cost of various services differs across the country depending on the local economy as well as the demand for an item and this includes medical services.
- Cost per Hair Graft– Much like the area of the country playing a part in the final cost of a hair transplant, the cost per hair graft charged by a doctor can also vary across the country. The experience level of the doctor, as well as the cost of services in the area of the country where the doctor is located, factors into the final cost of the hair transplant.
- Travel Costs – Hair transplants are one of the most popular surgeries performed in the United States but that does not mean that every city has a doctor with the necessary amount of knowledge, skills and experience to perform a successful hair restoration procedure. You might have to travel in order to have a hair transplant performed by your doctor of choice. If this is the case, you will have to pay for travel expenses such as a plane ticket, a hotel room for (at least) two or three nights or gas for your car if you drive to your appointment. At Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration, we offer travel reimbursement for our patients who travel more than 100 miles to have their hair restoration procedure.
Discuss These Costs with a Board-Certified Surgeon
Once you know all of the costs involved in a hair transplant, you will have a better idea of the final price and if you want to spend that amount of money on the procedure. Once you determine which doctor you want to visit for your hair transplant, contact the office of the surgeon to ask about any payment plans or finance options they have available. For example, we partner with Lending Club to provide you various payment options. You might not have to pay for your hair restoration surgery all at once which will help both your budget and your peace of mind when making the final decision to have a hair transplant.