How to Wash Your Hair Post Transplant
Now that you’ve received your hair transplant, it’s important to take extra care when washing your hair in the first week following your procedure.
The following instructions are designed to help guide you through the post-transplant hair washing process.
Hair Wash Tips and Techniques:
- You will be given a shampoo & a reusable sponge with a bristle side & a sponge side.
- We usually schedule all patients for a hair wash the day after their procedure in our office. During this visit, we provide your first hair wash and show you how you can wash your hair for the next few days.
- On Day 2, you will have to wash both the transplanted and donor area of the scalp twice a day both morning and evening for four days.
- The sponge that we provide should be used for the recipient area (where you received the transplanted grafts). Using the provided shampoo, you will create enough foam to dab the recipient area very carefully. Please be sure not to scrub or rub this area. The foam should be left on the recipient area for 2-3 minutes before it is rinsed.
- The provided bristle will be used for the donor area (where hair grafts were removed). In this area you will scrub in a circular motion. Please scrub until the dried blood or scabs are removed from the donor area. By scrubbing really well, you will help improve the healing of the donor area.
- To rinse the donor and recipient area, you may only use water in a cup, bowl or in your hand. Placing your head over a sink or a tub, pour the water very gently over the shampoo foam. Room temperature is preferred. Please avoid very cold or very hot water when rinsing.
- You may pat dry your head with paper towels (using a dabbing motion) and avoid using regular towels in the first 5 days.
- On Day 6 after your procedure, you may wash your hair normally. You are allowed to go under the shower and scrub your hair just like you did before.
- If you still have scabbing on Day 6, you can put the shampoo or soap on your head and leave it on for at least 15 minutes and then scrub the scabs off. This will soften the scabs and allow you to remove all of them with more aggressive washing and brushing under the shower.
See how we wash your hair after a hair transplant.
If you have any questions after washing your hair, please do not hesitate to call us during office hours at 818.788.8363.
We hope you’ve had a wonderful experience with our team at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration. We look forward to seeing you in the future.
Parsa Mohebi, M.D.
Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration